
Some of you may (or may not) know that I have Celiac Disease, which just means that I can't eat anything with gluten in it (wheat, barley, rye, and some oats). "No wheat, " you say..."I would loose 20 lbs. overnight if I didn't eat wheat." I thought this same thing...but somehow I manage to still eat enough treats to maintain my girlish (translate: pear-shaped) figure. Clearly I'm not starving, but there are a few things that I miss about my previous life diet and the soft-baked, perfectly-chewy, heavily-frosted valentine sugar cookies that are delivered to my door by well-meaning neighbors seem to remind me of all that I'm missing. Here is a list of the "top 10" things I miss most (for posterity, if nothing less):
- soft-baked, perfectly-chewy, heavily frosted sugar cookies
- cheap white bread (like Wonder) that you can squish between your fingers without it crumbling
- croissants.....there are gluten-free options for most things (although the texture is never the same), but a buttery, flaky croissant that is gluten-free is yet to be found
- macaroni and cheese...the cheap Kraft kind from the box (sad, but true)
- graham crackers
- fish tacos...they just aren't the same if the fish isn't battered or breaded...same for chicken sandwiches
- soft, chewy pretzels from the mall with cheese dip
- Life cereal...and a bunch of other cereals, but Life I miss the most
- orange rolls...I used to make a mean orange roll for almost every Sunday dinner...much to Hubs dismay, it's just too tempting now, so I don't make them much anymore
- Oreos...I never really liked Oreos until I couldn't have them. Now I just think about dipping them in milk until they are a little bit soggy...oh how I miss them!
Anyhow, the problem with gluten free breads and bread products is that the texture is just not right. They crumble or are just not spongy enough or the flavor is wrong (I could go on and on here). But, this week, I found a little piece of celiac heaven! This recipe for dinner rolls is surprisingly easy and even more surprisingly yummy. I'm not sure too many of you have a need for gluten-free recipes (of my hundreds and hundreds of readers), but I'm going to share anyway...just incase you know someone to pass it along too or if you ever invite me over for dinner (you should, by the way....just kidding...kind of).
Simple Rolls Sans Gluten
4 T. shortening 3/4 t. vinegar 3/4 t. salt 2 T. xanthan gum 1 T. baking powder 1/2 t. baking soda 1 cup corn starch 1/2 cup potato starch 1 cup sour cream 1 T or 1 package yeast 2 eggs 3 T. honey
Mix all ingredients really well until there are no lumps. You can either shape with your hands (wet hands before handling dough) or you can just scoop them with spoons or a cookie scoop. Use about 1/4 cup of dough for each roll. Place each roll in a muffin tin or on a greased pan. Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
These freeze really well and then you can just take a few out at a time. Like for Sunday dinner so that your crying won't distract your family from enjoying orange rolls anymore....you're mouth will be too full to cry.
11 comments:
I'll invite you over for dinner if you bring me those cookies you are talking about, and you make the rolls, and i'll make something else yummy, like Turkey. I love a good Turkey with some rolls.
My sis-in-law is has to be gluten free also and she is always looking for bread or roll recipes. So yay! I'll give her your recipe and she will be thrilled. Thank you!
Poor Mel, I'm so sorry. I have a fave peanut butter cookie recipe without flour:
1 c. peanut butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. bkg soda
1 egg
3/4 c. choc chips (I'm not a pb and chocolate person, so I leave these out)
Bake 350, 9 minutes. (Let stand cuz they'll be soft at first.)
They are so yummy, but are super rich. Enjoy!
Because of my #3 child's autism, we tried to do a gluten-free/ casein-free diet. Everyone went on the diet, because he would eat what we had. So, I can say I feel a little of your pain. It was really hard and we didn't see a measurable difference, so I quit. My hubby says we should have tried harder, but it was me who missed my rolls and cookies. At least there seems to be a lot more resources on-line and in grocery stores than when I tried it 5 years ago. Hang in there!
Wow that is a strict diet. Can't you sneak a little ever or does it cause horrible effects??
My friend, her husband and all their kids have Celiac too. I let her know about the recipe. I am sure she will appreciate it.
Thanks for the recipe. I know that Nate will be wanting to try them.. Also, it was good to see you at camp. I hope all goes well. Keep me informed!
Julie
Wait--you can't have anything battered??? What good is a deep fryer with batter?? I am horribly, terribly, sorry. Also, I need to call you tomorrow. TTFN!
Ooh, I think I would miss the mac and cheese too. Thank you for the recipe.
I don't know how new this is, or how much info you have on gluten-free, but I thought I would pass on a blog of a friend of mine. http://glutenfreebetty.blogspot.com
I guess she is a great cook and also has Celiac's disease. Maybe you could find some good new recipes. Good Luck!! Tell Koby 'hi'.
Melanie,
I didn't know you have celiac disease. My mother-in-law has it, too, and there is a significant family history on my husband's side of the family. Thanks for the recipe....I'll use it next time I cook for the in-laws.
Post a Comment