October 28, 2008

A YUMMY HALLOWEEN TREAT

This is our families FAVORITE treat. It is so quick and easy that we make it a little too often, if you know what I mean (more treadmill time for Me). We hope you like it too!



Microwave Caramel Popcorn
  • 1 or 2 bags (depending on how carmelly you like it) popped micorwave popcorn
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white corn syrup
  • 1 cube butter
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda

Combine all ingredients except baking soda and popcorn in microwave bowl. Bring to boil (approx. 3 min), stir, then cook for 2 more minutes. Add baking soda to cooked syrup and stir well. Put popcorn in brown grocery bag. Pour syrup over popcorn and shake well. Cook in brown bag for 1 to 1 ½ minutes. Shake well, then cook another 1 to 1 ½ minutes . Pour into bowl to cool.

5 comments:

Karen Scott Welker said...

This is the recipe I use as well- one of my favorites. We add 1/2 tsp. of vanilla to the baking soda before we add it to the syrup. I don't know if that little bit makes much of a difference, but it sure is yummy. Now I'm hungry!

Anonymous said...

Sounds YUMMY!! I will have to try that recipe I love caramel popcorn

KatandBlue said...

Such a stinkin cute family! About the popcorn recipe, too bad I am disabled in the kitchen...maybe you could make me some sometime! Love you!

Margaret W. Hammond, RDN said...

I just made a batch of this tonight....and ate more than I should have! It was to give away to my visiting teaching ladies! Here's a recipe for confetti popcorn that is very similar but allows you to do different colors using jello powder. I think I'll make red and green to give out to neighbors....
Paper grocery bag
16 C unsalted popcorn
6 T butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
one 3 ounce package Jell-O (any flavor to make different colors
1/4 tsp baking soda

Put popcorn in bag; set aside. Melt butter in 1 qt bowl. Stir in sugar, corn syrup and Jell-O. Cover bowl with waxed paper and cook 3 min in microwave. Add soda and stir quickly until foamy. Immediately pour into bag and shake vigorously. Microwave bag 30 sec. Shake bag vigorously and microwave 30 seconds. Shake again and microwave another 30 seconds. Shake once more and dump out popcorn on baking sheet lined with wax paper. Break up clumps while hot and cool in fridge. Store in zip lock bags.

Vanes said...

I can never have too many YUMMY things to cook! We'll have to try that!
*I had to giggle about the trunk or treat post! Halloween's not at the top of my fav holiday list either! :)